It is WARM, so warm that the nature around us is struggling. We have set up 4 tips to give the plants and animals a helping hand during this heat wave! Just from your own garden…
1. Give the animals some water
Give the wild animals in the garden water. How do you do this best? Place some bowls with water (not too deep, otherwise they can drown) in the shade. You make birds and smaller mammals such as the hedgehog very happy with this!
2. Create a shelter
Animals are looking for a shelter where they can avoid the sun. Short grass offers no shade; it dries out quickly. You can create a spot by putting down wood chips, compost or garden waste.
3. Plant plants!
Plants provide the optimal shade in the garden, and a green garden looks beautiful! The older they get, the more shade they provide and absorb CO2. So, win-win!
4. Bring on the rain!
Place a rain barrel in the garden. You collect the rainwater which you can use for many purposes, such as watering the plants. This way you save a lot of tab water.
A fun project for the future:
Who knows, you may be able to make your garden more natural and animal-friendly.
- Place a vegetable garden with vegetables and fruit that you like;
- Plant different kinds of flowers to attract bees and butterflies;
- Very simple, remove some tiles and make a place for plants;
- Swap your fence for a hedge.
- Do not use chemical pesticides. You can do without it and it is harmful to nature!